As a prototype the Oberammergau Parish Church had a wooden building, at the beginning of the 18th Century however it was so damaged that it had to be rebuilt. Joseph Schmuzer led the construction of the rococo jewel, his son Franz Xaver was the plasterer. The ceiling and wall frescoes were made by the great Matthew Guenther, born in 1705 on an isolated farm on the north side slope of Hohenpeissenberg.Details
The Pilgrimage Church of Wies (Pilgrimage Church of the Scourged Saviour in the Meadow or in the Wies – called: “the Wies”) is a prominent pilgrimage church and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
First time visitors to "the Wies" without prior knowledge may well ask themselves what could have given led to the building of such a remarkably magnificent church in such a secluded spot.Details