Long-distance hiking trail - Meditation Trail, 4th stage (Aidling - Ohlstadt)
Long distance hiking trail
From Aidling via Riegsee, Hagen, Achrain, Weichs, Teufelssäule, Fieberkircherl und Hagrainkapelle to Ohlstadt.
- Type Long distance hiking trail
- Difficulty medium
- Duration 4:35 h
- Distance 16,3 km
- Ascent 166 m
- Descent 208 m
- Lowest point 618 m
- Highest point 726 m
Otherwise we follow the ridge trail to the right in the direction of Hagen. The small church dedicated to Saint Blaise was once a frequently visited pilgrimage site which already had its own parish since 1300. In addition to the opulent furnishings, an “Asylstein” (“asylum stone”) is also noteworthy. This stone plaque was originally mounted outside and signified that anyone who reached the church and sought protection here may not be further pursued. Right next to the church is the beer garden of the former Gasthof Heimgarten (tel. 0 88 41/14 14). In nice weather it is open on Fridays from 5 pm as well as on Saturday and Sunday. From here we always follow the road downhill until at Mühlhagen we come upon Kocheler Straße, which we cross (caution: traffic!). We follow the footpath to the right next to the road, cross the Loisach bridge and branch off to the right towards Achrain. Shortly after that on the right we already see the trail sign to Ohlstadt (“nach Ohlstadt”), follow the trail and pass “Bavaria Rafting”. Immediately after that we branch off to the left onto a footpath & riding trail that can occasionally be wet or also flooded, because after heave rainfalls or also at the time of the snowmelt in the mountains the Loisach River can be swollen and breach the riverbanks. Between moor and reeds to our left and the mostly gently burbling Loisach to our right, we now always hike along the river southwards. A wonderful picture unfolds after some time: extensive bog meadows and in the background the panorama of the Ester Mountains, Wetterstein Mountains and the Ammergau Alps, with the estate and church from Weichs picturesquely embedded in between. After the railway bridge the field path becomes a wide gravel path, but it is only used for agricultural purposes. We follow this path to the left where it comes upon a road, walk under the autobahn, over the railway tracks and branch off to the left at the first farm. We are now in Weichs and cross through several farmsteads while we continue to stay to the left. We come to the “Kirchgraben” stream and cross the bridge. Now we keep to the right and follow the trail along the stream until we come upon a road. We cross this road (caution: traffic!) and continue to hike along the field path on the opposite side. Soon we come across a trail, walk to the left and already see four mighty old lime trees from far away. In the middle of these trees is the “Teufelssäule” (“Devil’s Column”), and a panel chronicles what Father Miller from Schlehdorf Abbey experienced at this spot in 1668. We take time for a rest here. After that we walk a small stretch back on the same path, but then we walk straight ahead across the bridge and branch off to the left shortly after that. Now we are at the chapel known as “Fieberkircherl”, which was built in 1640 due to a solemn promise. In 1634/35, 114 out of 650 people in Ohlstadt and Weichs died from the plague. After the solemn promise the fatal disease ceased. The bell in the wooden tower bears the date 1644, and several votive tables attest to the fact that there was a brisk pilgrimage to this little church, which also included a hermitage, in past centuries. We walk further along the Wetzsteinlaine stream, branch off to the right at the third junction and come to the “Hagrain Chapel”, which was built in 1765. The whetstone makers in Ohlstadt stopped here for morning prayers while they were on the way to their difficult and dangerous work in the stone quarries. The rare craftsmanship of the whetstone makers was already mentioned in a document in 1350, and was still pursued as a trade until the middle of the past century. The stones required to sharpen scythes were transported by rafts and sold throughout Europe. We follow Hagrainstraße towards the centre of the village, come past a farmhouse cheese dairy and are at the town hall shortly after that. We keep to the left and reach the village centre, which has opportunities for refreshments and shopping.
Excursion tip from Ohlstadt: Glentleiten Open-Air Museum and Bavarian Principal and State Stud Farm Schwaiganger
This excursion starts on Hauptstraße in front of St. Laurentius Church in Ohlstadt. From here we follow the road slightly uphill, walk across Rathausplatz (town hall square) and turn into Hagrainstraße further uphill. Shortly after that on the left we follow the Floriansweg trail to the Wetzsteinlaine, walk a few metres to the right and cross the stream over a little bridge. Now a footpath leads us slightly uphill past cow pastures and later between trees and bushes as a hollow way. The trail becomes a beaten path through a meadow, but next to a barn we come to the next trail, which we follow to the left. To our left there is now an isolated farm. But we remain on our trail, and immediately after that we come upon another trail and follow it to the left. Now we are on the circular route “Kreutalm-Open-Air Museum-Schwaiganger” and always stay on this trail. Since it also serves as a forest road, up until the vantage point in the Loisach Valley it is paved with stone pavement. Finally we reach Alpengasthof Kreut-Alm (no closing day; tel. 0 88 41/58 22; www.kreutalm.de), and only a short stretch further we reach the Glentleiten Open-Air Museum. It is open from March to November. More detailed information is available at: tel. 0 88 51/18 50; www.glentleiten.de. Several opportunities to stop off for refreshments await us on the museum grounds. Here we find about 60 historic buildings from Upper Bavaria. In addition to farmsteads, workshops, mills and alpine pastures, the museum grounds also feature storage buildings such as granaries and a hay barn as well as an inn, a gazebo and a village shop. Here we can plunge into Upper Bavaria’s past. We learn and understand how people lived in the countryside in former times. This museum is truly worth a visit! When leaving the museum we walk a short stretch back the way we came, but already branch off to the right at the level of the Kreutalm and follow the sign “Schwaiganger– Ohlstadt 6 km”. Now the route is always downhill, through mixed forest and past paddocks. On the left side of the trail is one of the mightiest old lime trees in this area. Shortly before we come to Kocheler Straße, we turn left into the narrow road that leads to the Bavarian Principal and State Stud Farm Schwaiganger. Horses have been bred and kept here since the middle of the 16th century. Bavarian Prince-Elector Max Emanuel acquired the stud farm in 1687. Detailed information regarding guided tours and events: tel. 0 88 41 / 6 13 60; www.schwaiganger.bayern.de. Opportunity to stop off for refreshments: Landgasthof Herzogin Anna (closed on Monday; tel. 0 88 41 /62 64 30; www.herzogin-anna.de). After that we follow the trail sign to Ohlstadt. When leaving the grounds through the large gate we briefly walk straight ahead, branch off to the left in front of the small church and pass a little pond before we keep to the right afterwards. Now we always walk in the direction of Ohlstadt until we branch off to the left shortly before Schwaiganger Straße and follow the narrow road slightly uphill. We always remain on this trail. We continue walking to the right where the trail forks at the edge of the forest. At the next fork we also stay to the right and follow the trail through the mixed forest. Shortly after we come out of the forest again we come upon a narrow road and walk to the right. The trail now leads downhill. At the next crossing we walk to the left. Soon we come past the “Teufelssäule” (“Devil’s Column”), continue to walk straight ahead over the bridge and towards the village. We come upon Schwaiganger Straße and branch off to the left towards the centre of the village, where there are various opportunities for refreshments and shopping.
Please note: guests in “The Blue Land” and the “Ammergau Alps” regions can park free of charge at a variety of municipal parking areas (maximum parking time may not be exceeded) with the electronic guest card or the KönigsCard.
9620 Murnau - Riegsee - Aidling - Murnau
9631 Murnau - Obersöchering / Uffing - Eglfing
Guests in “The Blue Land” and the “Ammergau Alps” regions can use a variety of bus lines free of charge with the electronic guest card or the KönigsCard. You can obtain further information at: www.dasblaueland.de/Service/Kostenlos-Busfahren